Free Consultation

5 Star Reviews

More than any injury only law firm in the state!

Bradley S Dworkin & Domenic Maciariello

Dworkin & Maciariello Attorney's At Law

The Illinois Hammer

Big Hammer... Big Results!

  • Help getting loans in 24 hours if needed
  • Over $65 Million recovered last year alone
  • We don't get paid unless you do
  • Help seeking medical attention

Hurt at a Friend’s House: What to Know About Premises Liability

Published on June 19th, 2024 by The Illinois Hammer Injury Law Firm

What Should I do if I Get Hurt at a Friend’s House?

Picture this: you are enjoying a gathering at your friend’s house on a warm summer day. The sun is shining, the food is hot off the grill, your favorite music is playing over the speakers, and you are surrounded by people you love. You go inside to get a cold drink and suddenly trip on a loose tile in the kitchen. Crash. You hit the floor and suddenly feel searing pain. You realize something is seriously wrong with your arm and you rush to the ER.

After a visit to the ER, you find out your wrist is broken, and parts of your arm are fractured. Recovery requires surgery, pins in your wrist, and physical therapy. This is going to cost a lot of money. What do you do? When you search for help online, you find out you may be able to file a premises liability claim, but what does that mean? Will you be suing your friend because you got hurt at their house? You don’t want to ruin your relationship, but you also don’t want to be in medical debt. The good news is, you don’t have to do either. Let’s talk more about premises liability and what your options are.


What is premises liability?

When you get injured on someone else’s property your claim falls under premises liability. Premises liability is the legal responsibility of property owners or occupiers to ensure that their property is safe for visitors or guests.  If someone is injured or harmed while on someone else’s property due to dangerous conditions, they may be entitled to compensation for their injuries. It is important to note that slip and falls are a subset of premises liability.

Am I suing my friend?

When you’re injured at a friend or family member’s house, we understand that you may be apprehensive to make a claim against them. However, based on the severity of your injury you may accrue hefty medical expenses that you may not be able to afford. A premises liability claim can help you cover the costs associated with your injury, but you may be worried that you will harm your relationship with the property owner.

Don’t worry, you are not suing your loved one, but rather the homeowner’s or renter’s insurance company. Your friend likely already has a comprehensive personal liability policy. This policy should cover your compensation without damaging your friend financially.  There are rare exceptions if your costs are beyond their policy limits. We recommend having an honest conversation with your friend about the process. Remember that premises liability is designed to protect the injured, not harm the policy holder.


What do I do After Injury?


Things happen quickly after an injury occurs. It’s important to know now what to do, so you can think clearly in the moments following an injury.


  • Seek medical attention immediately, no matter what. Your priority needs to be your own well-being. Having documented medical attention will strengthen your claim.
  • Document the property, including address, property owner’s name, and any witnesses present.
  • Document the injury and accident area with photos.
  • Take photos of the presumed cause of the injury (for example: water on the floor, a faulty banister).
  • Get an attorney that specializes in personal injury.

If you have been injured on someone else’s property, it’s crucial to seek legal guidance promptly. The Illinois Hammer Injury Law Firm has over 30 years of experience specializing in personal injury law.  We have a dedicated team of attorneys that will fight to maximize your compensation and make sure you aren’t getting taken advantage of by insurance companies.


Make the most of your summer while staying safe and informed. If you find yourself injured on someone else’s property, The Illinois Hammer Injury Law Firm can help. Call us at 888-7-Hammer (888-742-6637) today for a free case assessment.

Find us on Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Back to Blog

WordPress Image Lightbox